There’s no denying the power of Malaysian flavours when Diana Chan won the MasterChef Australia 2017 trophy on Tuesday. The Malaysian accountant who is based in Melbourne won by just one extra point. For that, she had one dish to thank for – the one that scored her a perfect 30 out of 30: abalone with green juice.
This perfect dish has six components: the abalone, pickled bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, Chinese broccoli, spatchcock skin, and green juice. While the ingredients sound really simple, it wasn’t an easy task for Diana to get the right combination of flavours. As she commented during the Mystery Box Challenge, she was taking a risk in blending Chinese broccoli and nasturtium leaves together with vinegar. It was a combination not many are familiar with.
If you want to attempt to recreate Diana’s dish, we have the recipe right here! Not that there are five parts in the recipe of Diana’s abalone with green juice. It may sound tedious and intimidating, but it can definitely be done within an hour.
You don’t need to rush like Diana, just take your time at home:
1. Remove the skin from the spatchcock and bake it for 20 minutes till golden brown.
2. Mix one cup of vinegar and half a cup of sugar in a saucepan till it boils. Put the cut bamboo shoots into the mixture and leave it to cool in the fridge.
3. Blend 20 nasturtium leaves, one bunch of Chinese broccoli leaves, half a cup of vinegar, two tablespoon of oil, and a pinch of salt. Then sieve it to get the green juice.
4. Sauté some shiitake mushrooms and Chinese broccoli stems.
5. Cook the spatchcock in olive oil and butter over medium heat till it’s caramelised. Remove everything but the juice, then toss the thinly sliced abalone in it for 20 seconds.
6. Serve the cooked abalone slices with sautéed shiitake and Chinese broccoli stem, pieces of spatchcock skin, and green juice at the side.
Now you can be a MasterChef like Diana too!
This recipe by Diana Chan was sourced from Tenplay.
Should you require caterers to whip up some tasty Chinese dishes at your next event, visit Kaodim.com!
written by Esther Chung