You can repurpose or upcycle almost anything into a lighting feature. Popular hipster cafes challenge their creativity and that of others by endlessly searching for household objects to be transformed into a lighting feature.
Entrepreneur and investor Khailee Ng is known for turning waste paper baskets and water pipes into lights.
His waste paper basket lights at SAYS headquarters
His copper pipe lighting at The Engine Room in Centrio, Bangsar South
You can challenge Khailee Ng and hipster cafes by creating even cooler lights for your home or business premises. Start here for some interesting ideas.
1) GET A RANDOM LOG AND DRAPE BULBS ON IT WITH ROPES
2) USE YOUR OLD TRUMPET WHICH NO ONE EVER PLAYS ANYMORE
3) STUFF ROPE LIGHTS INTO WINE BOTTLES
4) STICK BOURBON BOTTLES INTO PIPES
5) OR LIGHTS INTO A SNARE DRUM, SINCE YOU CAN’T PLAY IT IN YOUR HOUSE ANYWAY
6) CHEESE GRATERS, (THESE TYPES DON’T WORK REALLY WELL AT GRATING CHEESE ANYWAY)
7) MORE CHEESE GRATERS, BUT LINED UP DIFFERENTLY
8) GIN BOTTLES
9) MOTORCYCLE PARTS
10) BASKET AND A PULLY
11) ROOF AIR FILTERS THAT NEVER REALLY FILTERED MUCH AIR
12) YOUR MOM’S CRYSTAL COLLECTION
13) YOUR MOM’S TEA CUPS
14) A BLOCK OF WOOD WITH CHAINS AND A HALOGEN LIGHT BUILT IN
15) NICER LOOKING TEA CUPS
16) MORE GIANT PIECES OF WOOD
17) A BIN
18) RIP APART THE DRUM FROM YOUR WASHING MACHINE
You can spend a couple of weekends creating any of these lights yourself. It’s probably not that hard. However, at some point in time you might need an electrician or handyman to help you out, whether it’s to build or carry out the lighting installation in your home. Any of the reliable and capable contractors on Kaodim would be happy to help you create these unique lighting features. Take a photo of what you want to build and put in a request on Kaodim. I’m sure this project would be alot more interesting than the stuff they usually do.