What are your goals this year? A new you, a new mindset, a fitter mind and body, a more positive outlook? The key to reaching your goal is persistence, and it helps a lot to have affirmations along the way to motivate you to keep going.
Start off the new year strong with these 18 powerful inspirational quotes from your favourite superheroes, their friends and their foes.
1. “Life doesn’t give us purpose. We give it purpose.” – The Flash
Living life at superspeed, Barry Allen isn’t going to wait around to find something to strive for.
2. “It’s not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.” – Batman
As either billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne or gritty vigilante Batman, Gotham’s controversial Dark Knight isn’t well-loved. But he won’t let his personal proclivities stop him from doing what’s right.
3. “Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” – Alfred Pennyworth
The Bat’s butler, long-time friend and father figure Alfred Pennyworth is the true hero, mentoring Bruce Wayne since childhood to keep going in the face of adversity.
4. “Don’t ever tell me there’s no way” – Agent Phil Coulson
While not as super-powered as the heroes and enemies he has to deal with, S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Phil Coulson will put his persistence and the never-give-up attitude to solve seemingly impossible problems.
5. “If you’re nothing without this suit, you shouldn’t have it.” – Tony Stark / Iron Man
True to his nature, Tony Stark isn’t one to motivate without a few barbs. While he comes across as a little harsh, his words spurred Spider-Man to believe that he can achieve great things without the need for external augmentations.
6. “Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on.” – Nick Fury
The no-nonsense and straightforward leader of S.H.I.E.L.D. pushes on with the intention of winning and overcoming hardships.
7. “No matter how bad things get, something good is out there, just over the horizon.” – Green Lantern
Hal Jordan’s Green Lantern will get you looking at the bright side and holding on to hope even if things look dire.
8. “The future is worth it. All the pain. All the tears. The future is worth the fight.” – The Martian Manhunter
As the last of his kind, the Martian Manhunter has lived through much devastation, yet reminds us that there’s still something to good to fight for.
9. “You’re much stronger than you think you are. Trust me.” – Spider-Man
From wimpy nerd to friendly neighbourhood hero, Spider-Man gets you to believe in yourself, even if you can’t shoot webs off your wrists.
10. “The door is more than it appears. It separates who you are from who you can be. You do not have to walk through it. You can run.” Franklin Richards
The son of Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman knows a thing or two about being super, and the way to get there.
11. “It’s not dying that you need be afraid of, it’s never having lived in the first place.” – The Green Hornet
This lesser-known superhero urges you to not let your fears and insecurities stop you from fulfilling your potential!
12 . “I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Superman
Even if Superman’s amazing powers put him far above us, he is surprisingly insightful about how our mere human ability to push through hardship makes us super.
13. ”Being the best you can be, that’s doable. That’s possible for anybody if they put their minds to it” – Captain Marvel
Carol Danvers will only be making her debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in 2019, but has inspired many to believe in themselves and strive for the best.
14. “You’re going to make a difference. A lot of times it won’t be huge, it won’t be visible even. But it will matter just the same.” – Commissioner James Gordon
He doesn’t have the intellect or training like Batman to take on supervillains, but still shows us that we can make a difference in very human yet doable ways.
15. “The training is nothing! The will is everything! The will to act.” – Ra’s al Ghul
Batman wouldn’t be Batman in Christopher Nolan’s ‘The Dark Knight’ trilogy if it weren’t for this supervillain’s mentorship and training. As Henri Ducard, he pushed Bruce Wayne past his breaking point to do the impossible.
16. “I’m not always able to choose my battles… but effective immediately, I’m going to make an effort to choose the battles that matter.” – Captain America
Still a Brooklyn kid at heart who hates bullies, Steve Rogers will fight for the oppressed and the ideals of what he thinks is right. While he’s talking about upholding the American Dream against tyranny, he reminds us to pick our fights for the right reasons.
17. “You’re gonna miss each and every shot you can’t be bothered to take.” – Hawkeye
As the neighbourhood ‘Hawkguy’ in this incarnation of Clint Barton, he’s pretty down-on-his luck and depressed. Yet he’s still there to tell us to take a chance on ourselves, no matter how impossible it seems.
18. “Getting your rights isn’t about becoming someone else. It’s about not having to ask permission to be who you already are.” – Ms. Marvel
As Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan is still learning the ropes. But her insightful compassion inspires us to fight for the right to be true to ourselves.
Superheroes give us an ideal to strive for, even if they themselves are not always perfect. But when you need a hero to keep you going, there’s always one or two who’ll have words of wisdom to inspire you to find the strength within.
Want to reinvent yourself for the new year? Find the best coaches and fitness instructors on Kaodim to guide you with personalised, professional and affordable self-improvement plans for your needs!
written by Louisa Lee